Printer Problems in 8.04

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Mon May 4 01:44:44 BST 2009

The Wassermans wrote:
> Problem #1.  How do I delete redundant printers from HH 8.04?

Go to http://127.0.0.1:631/ on the host and you'll get a full management
interface.

> Problem #2.  Trying to install a new HP P1005 Laser Jet without success.
> I have tried to follow instructions from http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/ to no
> avail.  I would like some help please.

Try installing hplip-gui and see what it tells you about the printer.
You may need to update to a newer version of CUPS to get full support
for it.  The first place to try for this would be hardy's backports.
You can enable backports in your software sources, then run update
manager to check for updates, then install only the packages with "cups"
in their name.  Then turn off backports if you don't want lots & lots of
packages to update regularly.

Paul