Simply Backup help

Callan Davies callan at cruzn.net.au
Tue Mar 31 01:40:51 BST 2009

> Simply Backup all goes well to the point of pressing the "backup now"
> button and the "A backup run is initiated. The process id is xxxx "
> message is displayed. After that, there is no sign of activity - that I
> can see.  I presume that it is working in the background.  Though it
> doesn't present a time line or any other message to say where or what is
> going on.  I don't know if/when it is done.
>
  > 1. What do I do after the "A backup run is initiated. . . ." message?
> 2. Does it work reliably?
> 3. Is there a better product/process?
> 4. Any other comments?

Hi Dave,

I use SimpleBackups at home, plus two other networks that I manage. All
three locations have data on a NAS device, and back up the the local
machine.

I use the 'custom' backup settings, with a full backup every 30 days. I
use logarithmic backup retention.

Basically everything seems to work fine.

My suggestion would be to add the system monitor applet to your panel,
and configure it to show CPU, Load and Disk. Then go to Simple Backups
and click the RUN BACKUP NOW. Hopefully you see the graphs start to do
something!

The RUN BACKUP NOW button just starts a manual backup, which I always do
for the first run. Then I just let it run its own schedule after that.

I've found it works really well, but I can't say I've ever tried a restore.

One function I would love to see, is some sort of log file, log email or
  on-screen notification that backups have (1) started, (2) completed,
(3) failed.

Right now, it's possible to shut your machine down in the middle of a
backup and you'd never know until you tried to restore data that was not
there.

Hope my comments have helped.

Cheers
Callan