beta-live CD vs daily live CD

Sebastian Spiess sebastian.spiess at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 07:52:45 GMT 2009

Indeed, thats what I thought as well after I wrote the last post :-)

> > I will make sure here home is on a separate partition and I set up
> > some backup routine for her... maybe simply a dropbox 'mirror'.
>
> Given what has happened recently with ma.gnolia and some blog platform,
> I wouldn't trust cloud solutions as your only backup option.  If they go
> under or stuff something up, she doesn't know about and then something
> happens, she is left with nothing.  I would suggest having some
> redundancy of providers if you wish to go down this road.

I know that you should not rely on the free services as they can stop
their service any time without reason.

So I though I get her a (cheap) 4 gig usb dongle which will go on the
back of her computer. Then I set up sbackup which I quite like to backup
~ /etc and ? on a regular basis.

sbackup comes with automatic deletion of old backups and given the fact
that she wont store much music or pictures the backups could go back a
long time b4 they are deleted. On top of this I can still setup dropbox.

What do you think?

> > Regarding the ISP, yes I'd agree that the free quota for the updates
> > is very cool. But last time I checked Internode or iinet where either
> > pricey to change to or not available where I live (the exchanges
> > around me have all already the faster DSL only Narrabeen not...)
>
> Internode have the largest number of ADSL2+ dslams of any ISP.  I don't
> know about your mum's situation, but most of my family is more than
> happy with 512/128 from internode for $40 per month.  I can't see that
> being considered pricey when you look at what you get for your money.
> With ISPs I have found it is a case of cheap, reliable, good customer
> service - pick 2.

As replied to Barry I will look into this again. Last time I checked the
cost for me to switch was quite high

Cheers,

Seb