beta-live CD vs daily live CD

Dave Hall dave.hall at skwashd.com
Mon Mar 16 07:14:34 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 14:46 +1100, Sebastian wrote:

> I thought about this a bit and while I wanted to give my mum the
> latest bling of jaunty I honestly don't think she will care that much.
>
> So 8.10 it will be - at some stage she will need to upgrade to a new
> release... maybe to 9.10?

If you want to give her something solid and won't require upgrading so
regularly, throw hardy (8.04LTS) at her.  LTS releases are supported for
3 years and have longer release cycles.  Wait for the .1LTS release to
dodge the nasty bugs that seem to creep in at the end of an ubuntu
release cycle.

> I will make sure here home is on a separate partition and I set up
> some backup routine for her... maybe simply a dropbox 'mirror'.

Given what has happened recently with ma.gnolia and some blog platform,
I wouldn't trust cloud solutions as your only backup option.  If they go
under or stuff something up, she doesn't know about and then something
happens, she is left with nothing.  I would suggest having some
redundancy of providers if you wish to go down this road.

> Regarding the ISP, yes I'd agree that the free quota for the updates
> is very cool. But last time I checked Internode or iinet where either
> pricey to change to or not available where I live (the exchanges
> around me have all already the faster DSL only Narrabeen not...)

Internode have the largest number of ADSL2+ dslams of any ISP.  I don't
know about your mum's situation, but most of my family is more than
happy with 512/128 from internode for $40 per month.  I can't see that
being considered pricey when you look at what you get for your money.
With ISPs I have found it is a case of cheap, reliable, good customer
service - pick 2.

Cheers

Dave