permission modification mysteries

James Collier james.collier412 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 14:36:53 GMT 2009

Hi Tom,
> > I want to change world/other access from read and write to just read
> > the owner is root i have tryed with sudo nautilus and using
>
> Please dont use nautilus with sudo - for that matter, dont use any GUI
> app with sudo. use gksu or kdesu (as apropriate)
>
> > properties to change the files
>

> > ps: I am using a NTFS formated drive

NTFS doesn't store POSIX permissions, although
the ntfs-3g FUSE driver can approximate them. This may be nothing to do
with your problem but for more info see:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/b.andre/permissions.html

Karl's advice is good: don't use NTFS.

James C

P.S. Apologies for misdirecting to you Karl

---
/********************************
*INTERESTING FACT:              *
* Windows degrades the quality  *
* of high definition video on   *
* purpose at the request of the *
* entertainment industry.       *
* Value your freedom?           *
* Visit fsf.org & badvista.org  *
********************************/

My System: Description: Ubuntu 8.04.2
Release: 8.04
GNU/Linux 2.6.24-23-generic i686
My website: https://launchpad.net/~james-collier412
   www.morerowdy.blogspot.com
Public key available from: http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/
Free Software Foundation Associate Member #6883
Become an associate member yourself:
http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=6883

Started: Wed Mar 4 01:25:51 EST 2009