Firewall Distributions, Questions.

Blindraven blindraven at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 08:57:47 GMT 2009

# cross post /u-au/slug

I am looking to set up a hardware firewall using an old computer and a Linux
distribution and am curious about a few things.
To start with, I'll attempt a diagram to show you how my network is
currently set up.

My home network is set up like so :

                           Modem/Router

                 _------------Switch------------_
                 |       |        |      |      |      |
               MB    MF   FS   DT   U1   U2

*(MB) - Mythbuntu Back-end
*(MF) - Mythbuntu Frontend
*(FS) - Fileserver
*(DT) - Dedicated Torrent | Downloader
*(U1) User (me)
*(U2) User (wife)

I am assuming with 2 NICs in the old computer, you dump it between the
switch and the router and connect both the switch and modem/router to it.
So it would look something like

                         Modem/Router

                                NIC1
                             Firewall
                               NIC2

               MB    MF   FS   DT   U1   U2

Based on my set-up, which of the following would you recommend and why?

pfSense, MoNoWaLL, Clark Connect. (Do you know any others?)

I understand policies could be configured for all of them to allow SSH etc,
but I'd like something that does not require me to mess with modules
extenively as I am not *tha*t technically savvy.