connecting a ZTE F165 with next g to a ubuntu laptop

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Tue Jun 2 00:43:30 BST 2009

Dave Hall wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 05:44 -0700, grahampower70 at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Gday all
>>
>> I have a ZTE F165 moblie phone that I will like to use as a wireless
>> modem on the telstra network though usb.The phone came up on network
>> connections but I don't what setting I need to make it work
>>

> I know of the phone, but I have never tried to use it as a modem.
> Usually just configure pppd to dial *99# and it connects.

When i was on 8.04, i had good success setting up a mobile USB modem as
a dial-up modem.  I used the number *21# as well as *99# but i can't
remember which was Telstra and which was Optus.

Under 9.04, it will likely be automatic: right click Network Manager ->
Edit Connections -> Mobile Broadband -> Add.

Paul