Netbooks

Andre Mangan andremangan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 21:36:01 GMT 2009

2009/1/24 Simon Ives <simon at simonives.info>

> I listened (read) with rapt attention to the Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR) Q&A
> session of Ubuntu Developers' Week on freenode this last week and I'm now
> considering purchasing a netbook for my wife and one for my daughter.  I've
> glanced over the UNR website and like what I see.  My questions to the
> group are:
>
> What netbooks are best for use with UNR?

Asus eee pc 1000H.

> What extra configuration steps were required to get UNR up and running on
> your netbook?

Since there is no bottom panel, reorganise the top panel to prepare a place
for the garbage bin and any other "essential"panel items.

How has Ubuntu performed on your netbook?

It works great on the 1000H because of the 10" screen.  The 1.6 GB Atom
processor is responsive and runs cool.  In comparison the Asus eee pc 701
runs hot but its biggest drawback is the small screen.

Everything works: Webcam, SD cards, WiFi, Sound, etc. out of the box.

Out of the Asus eee pc range, the 1000H is the pick of the bunch.  The
increase in size not only gives you a more usable screen size but also a
larger keyboard.

If I had to determine a runner-up, my second choice would be the Asus eee pc
900 with the Atom processor.  There are plenty of problems experienced by
purchasers of the Dell Mini (see Launchpad questions).  Of the other
netbooks available, my impressions are that some seem flimsy, too small, too
expensive, not built for Linux.

As to colour, pearl of course.

Andre