how do I fix error: linux mint elyssa 5.1 could not download all repository indexes

Peter Williams pewtas at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 04:17:30 GMT 2009

Hello All,

I will happily provide extra info as requested!!! My computer is an
extremely new & very fast pc. I think that it has dual core processors, 4
Gigabytes of RAM and also has a one terabyte HDD!!!! I also use the Telstra
Bigpond ADSL Liberty ISP plan. ( I don't really understand this.. so I hope
that it makes sense to someone! )

I'm having some problems with the Synaptic Package Manager.

Basically all my repository server internet addresses are totally incorrect,
in the Synaptic Package Manager. Because of this I cannot update my system
with the updates.

I've tried googling for:

how do I fix linux mint elyssa 5.1 could not download all repository indexes

but I'm not finding any useful info. ;-(

I have been told by many people that Google.com is a very powerful search
engine etc -- however, I have to admit that I don't fully understand how to
use it, eg. to search.

I borrowed a Library book called "Google Search & Rescue for DUMMIES" -- but
I don't know when I'll find time to read it ;-(

Can someone please tell me or show me how to put in the correct web
addresses (I don't know the correct name) for the Synaptic Package Manager.

I currently boot-up my computer from a CD-ROM and it boots into Mint Linux
5.1 Gnome Desktop. Even when my repositories are not being updated I find
the Operating System to be VERY STABLE!!!! I have read in computer magazines
etc that Linux Mint 5 is a very good OS and I agree!!!

I'm only a Linux Newbie, and although I've been using it for years, I still
get very confused and worried about typing Linux commands into the terminal
shells. This is because I'm a 'newbie' at linux and I don't understand the
commands. I have printed out heaps and heaps of documents on paper.. and I
have so very many pieces of paper that I loose track of them!!!!!! ;-(

I will appreciate any help. Please be kind to me... as I have a mental
illness, and I need to keep taking my prescription medication... which works
extremely well... as long as I don't forget to take it!.

Yours Sincerely and With Much Love,

Praying for someone kind to help me!!!

PEW aka Pete the Piffle-man poet
(named 'cos of poetry I wrote about a cat I used to own many years ago named
'Piffle')

Fond Regards,
Peter Eric (aka 'pew') WILLIAMS
from Hobart, Tasmania, Australia -- phone (03) 6236-9675

My free website is: http://pewtas.googlepages.com  (or)
http://tinyurl.com/yuyejs

also: http://pewslinuxvault.googlepages.com  -- which I started 'cos my
other website is too massive!!!

(please visit my free website and let me know what you think about it.)

Natalie Wood  - "The only time a woman really succeeds in changing a man is
when he is a baby."