Old Kernels . . .(never die!)

Karl Goetz karl at kgoetz.id.au
Wed Jan 7 00:49:58 GMT 2009

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 10:30:05 +1100
The Wassermans <dwass at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Thank you Karl and Dave,
>
> I ran sudo update-grub and this is what I got:-
>
> "
>  A new version of /boot/grub/menu.lst is available, but the version
> │ │ installed currently has been locally modified.
>>     │ What would you like to do about menu.lst?
>>     │      install the package maintainer's version
>     │      keep the local version currently installed
>     │      show the differences between the versions
>     │      show a side-by-side difference between the versions
>     │      show a 3-way difference between available versions
>     │      do a 3-way merge between available versions (experimental)
>     │      start a new shell to examine the situation
>>     │                                <Ok>
> "
>
> What does it mean?

Isn't that fairly obvious? :) Your copy of grubs menu.lst has been
changed, and its been changed by something other then the packaging
system.

> What should I do now, please?

You should decide which course of action to take.

A safe one is probably to backup your existing menu.lst, then use
"install the package maintainer's version" to fix your file.

If you want to see how they differ, use "show a side-by-side difference
between the versions"
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)