Old Kernels . . .(never die!)

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Wed Jan 7 00:28:03 GMT 2009

Karl Bowden wrote:
>> Not that it's all that important really.  It's just a matter of
>> aesthetics.  And the frustration at trying to fix something that should
>> be quite easy
>
> Just as a matter of - hey this is how I manager my old kernels.

Just to chime in with a "me too", my method is this: DON'T DO ANYTHING.
 A kernel package is never likely to fill your disk, and leaving it
there costs absolutely nothing.

More importantly, you have a fallback if you need to do something like
move your hard disk into another system which for some reason doesn't
work on newer kernels.

I've been burned by other distros which overwrite the currently running
kernel, and i'm glad Ubuntu lets those old ones build up.  They come in
handy from time to time!

Paul