New partition

Paul Schulz paul at mawsonlakes.org
Sat Jan 3 07:05:19 GMT 2009

Hi Simon,

Have you installed the drive yet? Specifically, what device does it come up as?
To list available disks, use..

  # fdisk -l

It should be something like /dev/sdb

The steps to setup what you're after are:
0. Partition new drive (fdisk /dev/sdb)
1. Format new drive (mke2fs)
1a. Adjust filesystem parameters (tune2fs)
2. Mount drive in a temporary location (/mnt/sdb1)
3. Copy /home (tar cf - -C /home . | tar xpf - -C /mnt/sdb1)
4. Remount disk at /home
    (umount /mnt/sdb1; mount /dev/sdb1 /home)
5. Make mounting automatic.. edit '/etc/fstab'

A couple of tips:
- Enable root logins before testing. (Add a root password)
- When happy, login as root, unmount /home and delete any of the unwanted
  data in the mow hidden /home

When you're happy that you've done everything correctly, you can
disable root logins.

Ann alternative, which I feel works better.. skip step 4, and
remount the new disk at /users, (or some other new location)
then edit /etc/password to make the users's home directory
to be '/users/<username>' rather than '/home/<username>'.

This has the benefit of keeping everything accessible, and obvious,
particularly is anything should go wrong.

Cheers,
Paul