Old Kernels . . .(never die!)

Dave Hall dave.hall at skwashd.com
Thu Jan 1 22:21:00 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 08:11 +1100, The Wassermans wrote:
> I am running Ubuntu 8.04.  It boots up on Kernel version 22.
>
> However, when booting up I am presented with several lines relating to
> older Kernel versions and their respective "recovery mode".  Obviously
> automatically saved as updates are installed.
>
> I read somewhere that old versions should be removed as they slow down
> the booting process.  Though I don't really have any complaint about
> what seems to me to be a quick bootup anyway.  It's just that I don't
> like all those lines of information in my face.
>
> So I have some questions please:
>
> 1.  What is the purpose of storing the old kernel versions?

To allow you to roll back if there is a regression.

> 2.  Any reason why I should not delete the oldies?  (And/or maybe just
> save the last superseded one?)

I personally keep the previous kernel for a few days to make sure that
everything works properly.

> 3.  How would I go about deleting them?

Using GNOME go system > admin > synaptic package manager

Search for "linux-image"

Don't try to remove the highest numbered entry (that will be the kernel
you are running)

For the remaining "linux-image-2.6.xx-y*" entries, just right click on
them and select "Mark for complete removal".  It will ask you to confirm
that you also want to remove the related restricted modules package as
well.

When done click Apply.  Confirm that you are happy with the changes by
clicking apply.  Wait for synaptic to work its magic.

> Happy New Year . . . .

To you (and others on the list) too!

Cheers

Dave