Replacement computers for bushfire victims

Stewart Johnston scj at stooj.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 03:26:16 GMT 2009

Paul Gear wrote:
> Stewart Johnston wrote:

>>> As well meaning as this sounds, the reports I've seen and heard
>>> suggest they don't have houses or even power to use the PC's with...
>>>
>>> Is there some organization close to ground zero that can confirm or
>>> deny these efforts would be worth working on? no point sending a bunch
>>> of working PC's into an area that don't need to be cluttered by such
>>> things... it may end up being a downright hindrance to recovery.
>>>

>> Whoops... sorry senectus.
>>
>> As I said, it probably wouldn't be an immediate need, but I'm guessing
>> it'll come fairly soon. Power is being restored as far as I know, and
>> it'd be nice to be ready to fill demand when it comes.
>>

> I don't think you have anything to be sorry about Stewart.  You made it
> clear that you wanted to help when the time was right, which is all any
> of us can do.
>
> I don't know of any specific initiatives, but i would suggest contacting
> Red Cross via their web site.  I'd love to hear if you receive a
> response from them.
>
> Paul

The red cross website has folded under the extra load just now. I will
keep an eye on that and contact them later on when things have calmed a
little.

I did find a group in Melbourne who supply refurbed PCs with Ubuntu 7.04
installed and some other tweaks (seems a pity they're using an EOL
version) for $15 but they're only open on a friday & saturday.
(Link: http://www.computerbank.org.au/ for anyone interested)

When I lived in Scotland there were install fests for computers donated
to charities, I was hoping for something similar here.

I will keep you posted on what happens.