Netbook

ssorc ssorc at fastmail.fm
Tue Feb 10 00:52:38 GMT 2009

I have a MSI Wind U100 and am running Ubuntu 8.10 on it.

It is excellent, with a couple of small provisos:

The model has different hardware depending on when you bought it, which
region it was purchased in, etc. In particular, there are at least two
models of webcam used and two different wifi cards.

Mine model has the RT2860 wifi card, which is not supported out of the
box by 8.10. I am using the Debian package, which works most of the
times, but really struggles with WPA (at least on my home network). I've
played with network manager and wicd, with some success. Next step is to
look at ndiswrapper around the windows driver or start doing some more
detailed debugging of the WPA problem.

Apart from that, everything works: bluetooth, sound, suspend, etc.