Ubuntu-based malware

Morgan Storey me at morganstorey.com
Mon Dec 14 10:41:45 GMT 2009

to be honest though you can do the same with most windows install
files, MSI's .exe's are usually just a zip of all the dll's, cab's and
exe's, even somtimes a few batch files and vbscripts. The average user
won't look inside their installers, and may not know what they are
looking at if they did. Even advanced users won't do open them all the
time and then will they scour through some obscure perl/python/ruby
code? Adding it to a repository scanner could be useful for the admins
of repos to run as an extra layer though, it really comes back to same
issue don't install software from somewhere you don't trust, which can
be very difficult for windows users. But not so much for Linux users,
stick to pretty much the standard repo's and most malicious software
will get caught by the many eyes alone.