Distro?

David Fawcett omniwoof at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 23:20:47 GMT 2009

I believe it's short for 'distribution'. When people are talking about their
distro (or creating a new distro) they are talking about their version of
Linux (or creating a new version of Linux).

There are many variants of Linux all aimed at a different target audience
with different needs.

For example: Ubuntu is aimed a new users and is designed to be as simple to
use as we can make it. Open Solaris (also free) is aimed at businesses and
includes a lot of built in networking functions (ZFS for example) that could
be very useful for businesses.

Windows has Windows XP Home, XP Pro, Vista Basic, Vista Home Premium, Vista
Business etc.

In my opinion Microsoft distros are less about ensuring that their customers
have the right product for them and instead charging a premium for tools and
services that an OS really should provide for free.