Pt2 - Mobile Broadband for 9.04

Dave Hall dave.hall at skwashd.com
Wed Aug 19 10:25:51 BST 2009

Hi Rob,

On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 15:25 +1000, opm595 wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> The Mobile Broadband for 9.04 using Vodafone saga continues . . . and
> I'm not too sure if I'm beating a dead horse or not here.
> So, anyway, I ended up buying the modem, and after reading a fair bit
> on various forums and Google searching etc I'm up to the stage of
> trying to connect.  The modem itself is a Huawei K3520 (from Vodafone)
> and from what I've read it can work with a bit of perseverance using
> 'wvdial' (from a terminal window).

The K3520 is a vodafone branded version of the Huawei E169G.  I have 2
e169g running - neither currently with ubuntu.  I have used this device
in the past with my ubuntu laptop.

Try the following:

* Ditch wvdial - i have never liked it

* Download the karmic version of usb-modeswitch from
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/usb-modeswitch

* Use gdebi when it pops up to install the deb

* open a terminal

* run "sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart" no quotes

* run "exit" no quotes

* Unplug your stick and plug it in again

* Network manager's HSDPA wizard should popup - i think

Good luck

Cheers

Dave