Mobile Broadband for 9.04?

Barry Williams bazzawill at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 08:44:22 BST 2009

I would advice trying to get the make and model of the modem (which
can be harder than it sounds as the guys at voda will likely only know
it as the vodaphone prepaid modem) but hopefully it is printed on the
box. Then do some research as to whether that model is supported by
the linux kernel or has drivers available. Also look for some
instructions re getting it working. I have some experience with a few
3g usb modems working for telstra and some will work out of the box
and some need new drivers sometimes the drivers are not available yet.
For instance it took sierra wireless about 2 months between releasing
their 306 21mbps modem and them releasing linux drivers. Another trick
is if you have one of these fancy modems that have windows software
loaded on the device you will probably need to eject the internal
memory on the device before it will function as a modem.
Unfortunately I haven't come across any company telco or manufacturer
that officially supports linux. That way they can get out of training
staff to assist with technical support. However most have unofficial
support such as sierra wireless writes drivers and zte help users on
there forum.