installing 8.04 on sata drives prob

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 15:09:05 BST 2009

Hi Paul

On Thursday 02 April 2009 14:05:42 Paul Gear wrote:
> James Takac wrote:
> > Hi Guys
> >
> > I'm having probs installing ubuntu (32 bit) on a friends pc. Have loaned
> > one of mine till I sort this out. Both live and alternate cds pass the
> > integrity check yet both throw up read errors during the install phase.
> > Both HDD and DVD drive are sata and bios shows them both on the same ide
> > interface (#3) with the HDD as master and the DVD as slave. The processor
> > is a 2.4g P4 celeron. Do I need to set specific parameters for the sata
> > drives in BIOS maybe? The mobo is an ASUS PSGC-MX if that also helps. I'm
> > not having much luck via google but suspect the prob to be related to
> > both drives being sata and/or settings for the drives. Any ideas I can
> > try?
>
> Check that the BIOS setting is AHCI on the SATA drives.  It sounds like
> it's in ATA emulation mode.
>
> Paul

The Bios seems to have a Compatibility mode  and an Enhanced mode re the ide
ports which below that can be set to S-ata, P-ata, or S-ata + P-ata. Setting
to compatibility mode sets the 3rd by default which I'm trying now. I swore I
saw settings earlier re the DMA's and such but that may have been another pc
I worked on the other day

James

--
Now you are going to ask me how to destroy this stark
awareness of your self. You might be thinking that if you
destroy this sense of your self you will destroy
everythingelse too and you will be right. But I will answer
this fear by telling you that without a very special grace
from God and without a particular aptitude on your part,
you will never beable to get rid of this naked sense of
self. For your part, this aptitude consists of a robust and
profound sorrow of spirit.....Everybody has a special
reason for grief, but the person who has a deep experience
of himself existing apart from God feels the most acute
sorrow. Once we have aquired this sorrow it not only
purifies our souls, but it takes away all the pain merited
by sin and thus makes the soul capable of receivingthat joy
which takes from a man all sense of his own being. If this
sorrow is genuine, it is full of holy longing. Otherwise
nobody could bear it.

from The Cloud of Unknowing