Telstra Next-G Wireless Broadband

Simon Ives simon.ives.au at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 06:10:49 BST 2009

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 15:23:25 +1030
LinuxDan <linuxdan at adam.com.au> wrote:

> Simon,
>
> I'm not sure about the specifics, but it's a usb wireless modem  (little
> white number ;) ) and according to the spiel on the back, its Model:
> MF626 PP Wireless Modem...judging by another card in the pack, its made
> by a company called ZTE.
> Hope this helps....
>
> cheers!

That particular USB modem *does* work under Ubuntu, but it needs some tweaking.  The issue is that the modem also contains a MicroSD slot which allows it to act as both a modem *and* a USB storage device.  The problem with getting it to run under Ubuntu is that Ubuntu recognises it as a mass storage device so won't connect to it as a modem.

You'll have to setup the correct kernel module for the USB device numbers (vendor=0x19d2 product=0x0031 -  not vendor=0x19d2 product=0x2000 which is the number for the USB storage).  You'll also have to switch the USB mode (from 2000 to 0031 as above), possibly using USB Mode Switch (http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/).  I played around with one of these for a few days but ended up going with the wireless router/modem (home network gateway 7.1) for ease of use.  The USB worked but I had to create a shell script to mode switch every time the device was plugged in and this was something that my wife and daughter were unhappy with.  If your friend doesn't require the USB modem then I'd suggest switching to the wireless modem/router.
--
SIMON IVES
Consulting, advocacy & innovation