NVidia driver problem

en0f en0f at bokey.mine.nu
Mon Oct 27 10:38:56 GMT 2008

James Takac wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wednesday 22 October 2008 10:21:24 Dodge wrote:
>> G'day All, I recently upgraded to Hardy Heron, and all appeared to go
>> as expected.
>>
>> I uninstalled the video driver (NVIDIA binary X.org) and installed
>> what seemed to be a more appropriate driver, NVIDIA binary X.org (new
>> driver).
>> When I tried to boot Ubuntu later on, the program stalls at the

The nvidia binary driver (from nvidia) requires that you compile the
driver using the same version of Gcc that was used to compile your
running kernel. Be sure of that! :)

>> Can I change the driver back somehow so I can access the 8.04.1
>> installation.

To get basic nv (2D-only) driver working:

Ctrl+alt+f1, login and become root (su -)
$ egrep 'nv|vesa' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

if it returns "nv":
$ sed 's/nv/vesa/g' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Restart your window manager:
$ /etc/init.d/gdm restart (Assuming you use default ubuntu login manager)

[ .. ]

Now for getting the nvidia driver up & running:
Either run envy as mentioned by James or download the nvidia binary
driver's source from nvidia's website. Then create a kernel module and
load the module by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf to include "nvidia", add a
line "nvidia" to /etc/modules too.

Graphical[1] and manual[2] method are also available if you want to
follow them.

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NvidiaManual
[2] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

--