NVidia driver problem

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 01:33:52 GMT 2008

Hi

On Wednesday 22 October 2008 10:21:24 Dodge wrote:
> G'day All, I recently upgraded to Hardy Heron, and all appeared to go
> as expected.
>
> I uninstalled the video driver (NVIDIA binary X.org) and installed
> what seemed to be a more appropriate driver, NVIDIA binary X.org (new
> driver).
>
> When I tried to boot Ubuntu later on, the program stalls at the
>
> Can I change the driver back somehow so I can access the 8.04.1
> installation.
>
> Many thanks

At the very least you should be able to use the CTRL ALT F1 combination to
access a console screen to do command line stuff so you can
edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the driver to either nv or vesa. vesa will
work regardless though at reduced resolution and nv should enable the 2d
accelleration but not 3d and might give you at least a working desktop. If
you can't get to the console then boot the live cd (assuming that's what you
have) and open a terminal and type

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and look for something like the following

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Generic Video Card"
	Driver		"nv"
	Busid		"PCI:1:0:0"
	Option		"AddARGBVisuals"	"True"
	Option		"AddARGBGLXVisuals"	"True"
	Option		"NoLogo"	"True"
EndSection

Where mine has "nv" your's likely reads nvidia. Also you might find the envy
script for installing the nvidia drivers more reliable as it attempts to
detect which card you have and install the appropriate one. There is the odd
card it doesn't seem to work for like this legacy one sadly

the script can be found at

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

James
--
When you give a shilling to a beggar
do you realise that you are giving it to yourself?

Wei Wu Wei