ubuntu installation

William Grant wgrant at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 2 09:09:56 BST 2008

Blindraven wrote:
> It will comes with everything you need to get started, and is extremely
> easy to install.
> Regarding Microsoft Word, Excell, PDF documents and the rest - Just get
> open office.
>
> You can obtain Open Office here -
> http://download.openoffice.org/other.html  Download the English .deb

OpenOffice.org is preinstalled in all Ubuntu installations. No need to
download it separately. That's just likely to break things.

> For a simple .pdf viewer I'd go KPDF but it's a matter of preference really.

Evince, an excellent PDF reader, is also preinstalled in all Ubuntu
installations. No need to install KPDF.

> I used to use http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/overview.html to get

EasyUbuntu has been unnecessary and dead for years.

> myself up and running but there is a  more up to date alternative called
> Ultimatix (which I won't link) but a lot of elitists do not like as as
> it does thing's in a way contrary to how they think things should be
> done.

Now, with my Ubuntu developer hat on... There are excellent reasons to
not use Ultamatix. It performs little that the automated codec installer
or gnome-app-install (Applications->Add/Remove...) don't already do, and
has a rather dangerous codebase (though not quite as dangerous as
elements of its heritage). There are always better ways than
abominations such as Ultamatix or Automatix.

> Even if it does not really, except for vastly insignificant
> minority - do anything but save you time and ease the transition process.

They cause problems, and there has been little reason to use them for
years. If there are issues in the transition process that are solved by
Ultamatix, we'd be glad to hear them so we can avoid more
Automatix-derived breakage.

Please, please, do not use things such as Automatix or Ultamatix. They
are bound to cause trouble.

--
William Grant
Ubuntu Developer