ubuntu-au Digest, Vol 33, Issue 11

Ross rwillman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 11:58:12 GMT 2008

2008/11/12 Christopher Lees <christopher_lees at iprimus.com.au>:
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 12:00 +0000, David Ryder wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I need the wav format to play in some of my cd players that do not
>> accept mp3.
>
> Audio CDs use CDA format, not WAVE. Remember that audio CDs were on the
> market for years before Windows came along (that's what the W stands for
> in WAVE). A WAVE file will be converted at burn time anyway, so just
> skip the step and use Rhythmbox, Serpentine, Banshee etc to create an
> audio CD straight from your MP3 files.

WAV/WAVE stands for Waveform audio format, created by Microsoft and
IBM. CDA is a 44.1khz PCM format, while WAV is a container (like AVI)
that most often uses 44.1khz, 16bit 2 channel PCM. A MP3 -> CDA
conversion may vary depending on the decoder you use, but if you've
got the right WAV format, WAV->CDA, it'll be identical every time.

David, I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do, but I suspect
the problem with large files is that while you've got a WAV container,
the data inside the container isn't standard 44.1khz 16bit.

Cheers,

Ross