OK to ignore Evolution updates?

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Mon Nov 3 00:49:32 GMT 2008

David wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't use Evolution or Thunderbird. Is it OK for me to ignore (not
> install) the updates that Ubuntu's update manager lists?

If you don't use either, it's far better to remove them from your
system, although i think in the case of Evolution you can't do this
without breaking the ubuntu-desktop meta package.

Even if you don't use software, it still represents a risk (albeit a
lower one) if it is installed on your system.  I would suggest removing
Thunderbird and updating Evolution whenever a security update is
released.  I usually configure my systems to automatically apply
security updates.

Paul