Printing under Ubuntu

Bevin Watson bevin_watson at optusnet.com.au
Sat May 17 08:41:49 BST 2008

If I remember correctly you were trying to use a scanner attached to a
Windows box. I think this is a lot harder than networking one connected
to a Linux box.  The Sane FAQ says they would like some examples if you
do get it working.

>From the Sane FAQ:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ljm/SANE-faq.html
2.12. How can I access a SANE backend from Windows throught the
network ?
The most usable TWAIN source seems to be: http://sanetwain.ozuzo.net/

Also, you can use sanecgi which wraps the text based frontend
(scanimage) into a cgi perl script. For a running demo, try
http://www.boutell.com/sanecgi/

Oliver Rauch made a Windows-version of Xsane. http://www.xsane.org

2.13. How can I access a scanner connected to a Windows box from a SANE
frontend throught the network ?
TWAIN is not designed to allow such intelligent behavior.

However, SANE backends also run on Windows. So in should be possible to
start a saned on windows and connect to it via another system running a
SANE frontend. (Give me a mail if you've done this; also please take
notes if you are trying to do this).