Best way to set TV-Out to be PAL

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Thu May 15 03:24:43 BST 2008

Hi all,

I have an AOpen miniPC which has an Intel 945 graphics chip which I
use for TV out.

On my PC screen, everything is perfect.  When I plugged it into the TV
last night, via S-Video to RCA cable, I didn't have to make any
changes to xorg.conf to get TV-out working or anything, (I was most
impressed) but the desktop was black and white

After doing some research, I found that this was a known issue and the
Intel driver needed to be told to use the PAL standard manually.  This
is possible from the command line using the following two commands:

xrandr --output TV --set TV_FORMAT PAL;
xrandr --output TV --auto;

which instantly made the picture perfect.

I put the above two commands in /etc/rc.local and rebooted but I still
had a grey screen.

I am wondering if there is a better way to do the above or if I should
just configure my xorg.conf to only ever use the TV-out display and
use the Options directive to inform it to use the PAL standard.  I
think the only problem then would be subsequently trying to use a
monitor...right?

Any ideas?

Regards,
Whytey