upgrading problems

Gabriel Noronha noronha at westnet.com.au
Wed May 7 01:41:05 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 08:32 +1000, Victor Vahe Kevorkian wrote:
> Reluctantly, yesterday I went ahead and updated Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntu
> 8.04.
> After 45 minutes of downloading and 50 minutes of installing, I had
> problem with "gcc-3.3-doc" (which I finally deleted it after searching
> for an hour for solutions).

Probably the best solution in this case.

> Ubuntu 8.04 brought with it Firefox3, which is a welcomed Browser, but
> lost all my "add-ons".

I'm not sure this was meant to happen, granted it would be nice if
firefox ported over all the add-ons, but i'm not sure they can yet.
mainly firefox 3 is till beta. and because they made so many changes to
firefox you need to get the latest version of the add-ons anyway.

So sorry no easy solution you'll have to go download all those add-ons
again. If you can't remember what you install i doubt the upgrade would
of removed firefox 2 so you might find it hidden somewhere.

> The most unfortunate incident was the new VirtualBox-1.6.0-OSE ( which
> is not an Innotek property anymore and it belongs to SUN
> Misrosystems). After 7 hours of figuring out how to install the
> "tar.bz2" and "vboxusers" rejections, when I finally saw the OS
> working came the most disappointing issue no USB entry, plus I can't
> connect to my network. VB1.5 was working like magic before.

Can't really help don't use Virtural box. but isn't the installer in the
repos ?  can't you just apt-get virtural box or use synaptic.