Flash - it hurts! Make it stop! :-(

Dave Hall dave.hall at skwashd.com
Mon May 5 20:03:18 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 21:34 +1000, Paul Gear wrote:
> Melissa Draper wrote:
> > Dave Hall wrote:
> >> You could install FlashBlock - http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ even though
> >> I have flash working on AMD64, it cuts down the amount of bandwidth
> >> pointless crappy flash wastes
> >
> > noscript ( www.noscript.org ) gets rid of the javascript muck as well as
> > the flash stuff, and allows rules by domain/subdomain/etc.
>
> OK - next question: is there a solution for 64-bit platforms which will
> allow me to run a 32-bit and a 64-bit browser simultaneously?  I usually
> have 40 to 50 tabs across 5-10 different windows open at once, and i
> can't afford to stop running my 64-bit browser just to run a Flash site
> in my 32-bit browser.

I have installed the adobe i386 flash within a amd64 install of hardy
and it works fine.  Try this

* Close firefox
* Run sudo apt-get install nspluginwrapper \
	ia32-libs-gtk flashplugin-nonfree
* Start firefox and go to http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
* Send a nice thank you email to the list :)

Cheers

Dave