waking up applications from sleep...

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Mon May 5 02:13:12 BST 2008

peter baker wrote:
> hey guys
>
> silly question, I have hardy on my laptop.  if my flatmate leaves it on
> overnight and I switch users and login under my account and I goto
> "system monitor" all the applications seem to be sleeping.  makes it
> hard to launch firefox etc...
>
> is there an easy way to wake them all up?

Sleeping is the normal state for applications which aren't doing
anything.  They're waiting for the signal to be woken up.  Unless
something isn't functioning, you shouldn't need to do anything.

Why is it hard to launch Firefox?  You should be able to run it under
your user id if someone else is logged in, regardless of what they're doing.

Paul