Wine apps not showing up on task bar etc

Morgan Storey me at morganstorey.com
Sun May 4 16:22:41 BST 2008

Then again beyond some games that I shouldn't be playing with I have never
had anything I have thrown at wine not work.I have always used the wine
hosted Ubuntu repo since it started prior to that I didn't use it much,
still don't:
 deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt edgy main

But yes I get all the apps I try on the taskbar, mainly InternetExplorer and
the ATO's tax app, but some games I play as well. They also show up in
alt+tab. Obviously replace the edgy bit above with your distro name, ie
Gutsy, Hardy etc.

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 12:21 PM, <andremangan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some apps without a Linux version around and need to run them in
> > WINE.
> > They seem to run mostly ok but they don't show up on the task bar...
> > and if I minimize it I can't Atl+TAB and get it back, though ps -aux
> > shows it's there and running.
> >
> > Anyone know what to do to fix this?
> >

> I have never had much luck with Wine in running non-Linux applications -
> there seems to be far too much fiddling about to do.
>
> I use Crossover Linux (the commercial arm of Wine) where everything I need
> works out of the box.  My Applications menu has an entry for Crossover and
> when non-Linux applications are installed the appropriate names of those
> programmes also appear on the Applications menu.
>
> While this information may not help you in solving your present problem
> directly, I have provided it for your consideration.

Regards
Morgan Storey,A+, MCSE:Security.
Senior Network and Security Consultant.