SANE and faxing

David Ryder davaweb at bigpond.net.au
Sat Mar 22 22:51:42 GMT 2008

Hi,
Feisty with SANE and efax

I am new to the mailing list (any) so please (politely :-) ) tell me if
I am mis-using it. Thanks.

I am fax intensive but not to the point of needing/wanting the hassle of
installing hyalafax or mgetty-sendfax, neither of which I have been able
to successfully install anyway.

        1) I a have two big (to me) problems here. XSANE will interface
        with gimp, copy, save, email and supposedly fax. I have efax
        installed with efax-gtk as the front end. Works like a treat. I
        send/receive using /dev/ttsy0 via CUPS localhost:<port number> -
        all via the gui. efax integrates perfectly with the Writer etc.

        But XSANE, using its default setup for efax, only queues the
        'project' (where?) and does not send it.

        I tested it communicating with my modem by changing the send
        command to -d /dev/ttsy0 and the modem 'sent' the fax but of
        course without waiting for a dialtone, dialling or hasndshake -
        but at least it communicasted so my hardware is OK with it.

        Please, has anybody got XSANE working with efax or can anybody
        help me? I have spent weeks googling, reafding posts etc.
        Unfortunately the XSANE manual leaves a lot to be desired.

        2) Is there a way of putting a 'scan' button in Writer?

        Many thanks,
        David
        PS I can attach a picture of the fax setup - are attachments
        allowed?