Ubuntu preinstalled with 4 screen setup

Hamish Carpenter Hamish.Carpenter at its.monash.edu.au
Fri Mar 14 02:57:41 GMT 2008

Hi,

Some more experience... my experience has been that you will require either identical video cards or video cards from different vendors (ie using different drivers).

My most recent experience has been with a PCI-E nvidia card and a PCI one.

$ lspci | grep -i nvidia
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44 [Quadro NVS 285] (rev a1)
05:04.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)

I was using binary drivers and editing the xorg.conf. I can supply this if it would be of use. This setup would work but when powering down the monitors so save power, it would only wake one card back up correctly.

I would love to see photos once setup. I had a play recently with xdmx but found it too sluggish for everyday use (see: http://dmx.sourceforge.net/). If buying new hardware, a dual PCI-Ex16 motherboard would be a better option.

Hamish