New User - Need Ubuntu Server Edition.

Karl Goetz karl at kgoetz.id.au
Thu Mar 13 12:46:23 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 10:36 +0000, Peter Shanahan wrote:

hi mate!

> Hello I am a NEW linux user and I have been trying to get a valid copy of Ubuntu

does this mean a cd that is valid, or a copy that disables itself after
a month? :)

> Server Edition to do a bit of home networking ( and learn something from making
> my own mistakes ) however I have tried 4 times to download both versions of
> Ubuntu Server on the Web page and burn to disk without ANY luck whatsoever.

thats a pity.
which mirror did you use to download from?

> The install has failed to run until completion each time stating a failure to
> load  X or Y package. I have burnt these at the slowest speed possible to
> eliminate potential errors and according to the download software they have

i recomend trying the 'check cd integrity' (or whetever its called these
days) on the screen that lists options including 'install ubuntu'. This
will tell you whether the cd is valid or not.

> arrived intact. If anyone knows what I am doing wrong or if I can buy a working
> copy I would be most pleased to hear from you. I am trying to set them up on an
> old COMPAQ ML370 P III 500 with 1280MB RAM and 3 SCSI Disk with RAID 5.   Thanks

just to clarify, are you saying you have 1.2GB, or 128mb?

i ASSUME you dont have an ubuntu desktop because you say your a new
user. i dont know what platform you do run (mac/windows/etc), but try
and find a program that will MD5SUM cds/iso's.

If you find one you should run it on the images you downloaded to check
you got the whole image downloaded correctly.
kk

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor