Ubuntu preinstalled with 4 screen setup

Dave Hall ubuntu at skwashd.com
Thu Mar 13 10:45:51 GMT 2008

Hi Richard,

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 17:38 -0700, Kennard Consulting wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am seriously considering switching to Ubuntu for my Java-based
> software development.
>
> My sticking point is I would want a 4 screen setup, so presumably I
> need one of those motherboards with two video card slots and two video
> cards.
>
> I'm not wrapped in the idea of spending a lot of time tweaking drivers
> and recompiling kernels, so is there any company that specializes in
> building and configuring Ubuntu desktops? Could anyone recommend one?

I can't recommend anyone, but I will fill you in on my experience with
multihead desktops.

A few years ago I spent a couple of hours (ok maybe 3) getting Debian
woody running with 3 15" CRTs.  I used 1 AGP card and 2 PCI cards, all
FOSS drivers.  It worked well and didn't take much work on my part.

Things have since moved on.  If you want to spend a few hours learning
something new, a couple of nvidia cards and the binary drivers should do
the trick.

I currently have an ATI card in my 3yo laptop (running Hardy alpha -
8.04) and I get nice wobbly fading windows and other GL effects.  I have
also used projectors (mostly) without incident with the FOSS drivers.

Things have come a long way since Ubuntu was first released.

Given that I am just down the road from you in Belgrave (whois is
great), I am happy to try to be of assistance if you want to try to do
it yourself.  I am sure we can work something out.

Cheers

Dave