Optus Wireless

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Mon Jun 23 21:24:26 BST 2008

Leslie Gossner wrote:
> Dave Hall wrote:
>> On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 18:38 +1000, Jetjoint wrote:
>>
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> First post here.
>>> Does anyone use an Optus Wireless Broadband USB Modem on Ubuntu? I am
>>> looking at getting one and just wondering how easy it is to set up? Any
>>> links to pages that might help?

> This week i purchased an E169 from 3 as part of a mobile broadband
> package.  Im yet to get it up and running but a lsusb shows the modem
> straight away (lists as an E620) i just cant seem to convince Kubuntu to
> use the thing.  Unlike other i havent had the Mass storage device
> showing so i guess i need to set up some sort of dialer.

It may not be relevant, but i got a Telstra Bigpond wireless broadband
modem working with my laptop (running gutsy) on the weekend with
surprising ease.

All that was required was to load the appropriate module (once the
device was recognised and the device id obtained from lsusb):
	modprobe usbserial vendor=0x16d8 product=0x6280
This made it possible to run a modem connection over /dev/ttyUSB1.  With
Telstra, you can just call *99# as if it's old-fashioned dialup.

Regards,
Paul