On Bugs and Linux Quality

Null Ack nullack at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 05:03:56 BST 2008

Slawek having been on the tender process for numerous Government contracts
(both inside in the Government and outside in vendors) the key pros / cons
for Linux I see are:

1. Pro - reduced TCO
2. Pro - easy sell for servers
3. Con - hard sell for desktops. I did not see anything particularly solid
in preventing this - its more a lack of understanding. Im sure some areas
really could not do without Office but most that make this claim are in my
experience wrong about OpenOffice capabilities. Some sites have custom .net
apps running so it would be critical that Mono or some equiviliant really
worked. Actually I dont really understand all the whining about Mono as I
understand that is is now an open standard and not a MS standard? Theres
probably going to be the occasional legacy app written on the win32
application platform that doesnt play nice with Linux. What we did on one
project where all the infrastructure was replaced was to have a few citrix
sessions running legacy apps - for some reason they didnt want
virtualisation for desktop apps.

In my experience even getting OpenOffice into departments was difficult. The
one place that was done was on a Java developer build where the users were
all developers working on Java projects.