Totally Out of Ideas on Fixing Network Bug

Daniel Mons daniel.mons at iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 21 22:12:43 BST 2008

Null Ack wrote:
| Gday everyone :)
|
| So Im having alot of problems with loosing eth0 connectivity after a
| period of time. I'm trying to be an advocate for Ubuntu, but it's hard
| when a major bug makes the experience painful. I'm desperate to fix this
| problem. I have various things up on the lanuchpad bug report at:
|
| https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acpi/+bug/111282
|
| Many thanks for any help.

"dmesg" is a program that prints out errors/information directly from
the kernel to the screen.

After this bug happens, could you please collect the output of dmesg,
and past the last dozen lines or so to the mailing list.

There appears to be a known issue with the Intel 82573L only being able
to be detected at boot time.  It also appears that when waking from
sleep, the device is not properly initialised.  This is not specific to
Ubuntu either - it is a kernel level issue (thus it affects all Linux
distros).  Fixing these sorts of issues require someone with more
intimate knowledge of both the hardware and the kernel.  Intel
themselves are quite excellent with their contribution to kernel code,
and I would assume they will issue a fix shortly.

In the meantime, the suggested workaround is to do a complete module reload

sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop
sudo rmmod e1000
sudo depmod e1000
sudo modprobe e1000
sudo /etc/init.d/networking start

Again, if you could do that, check if network connectivity resumes, and
if it does, collect the output of "dmesg".

If the workaround works for you, you can turn it into a script to run on
demand.  While it's not ideal, it might get you working in the short
term until a kernel level fix finds its way downstream into Ubuntu.

Again, please don't judge the overall quality of either Ubuntu or Linux
in general on this one issue.  Linux supports quite literally tens of
thousands of devices perfectly.  Those that aren't working are not swept
under the rug either.  Linux is very much about full disclosure.  The
fact that you've already reported the bug is an excellent first step
(indeed, far more than most people do), and will aide Ubuntu and other
distros in finding what's at fault, and beginning the task of fixing the
problem.

- -Dan