How can I edit the text of a PDF file without having the source file of it?

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sat Jun 21 07:03:26 BST 2008

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 at 15:40, "Peter Williams" <pewtas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Ubuntu-Australia ppl,
>
> { I apologize for waffling on (below) however I figured that I was best for
> me to supply too much info rather than not enough. }
>
> I have a PDF file (eg an Adobe Portable Document Format) file which I
> authored quite a long time ago... back when I was using M$ Windows XP Home
> Edition as my Operating System. I now wish to edit the PDF file, however I
> don't know where the source document is, or whether I even HAVE the source
> file. From memory, the file was written using Micro$oft Word, and probably
> printed with PDF995 (M$ Windows print driver which creates PDF documents).
> [ eg PDF995 is available from the website www.pdf995.com ]

PDF is primarily an export format - it was never designed to be edited.
However, there are some tools out there which can do it - pdfedit and the
soon-to-be-released OpenOffice.org 3.0 spring to mind.

--
"My children - in many dimensions they're as poorly behaved as many other
children, but at least on this dimension I've got my kids brainwashed: You