Font sizing and monitor configuration

The Wassermans dwass at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jun 20 23:34:11 BST 2008

I have just installed Ubuntu 8.04 having been a longtime Windows addict.
I like it!

I have noticed in Firefox that the text is very small.  I know I can
Cont+++ to increase the size but I want to globaly set the rendering.

My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 205BW.  The video is a standard G4/G8
I think. I guess I am using the Ubuntu provided drivers which have auto
selected a resolution of 1680 x1050 which I am happy with.

How can I obtain optimise the my monitor's performance, particularly
when browsing?

Dave W