filesystems (was Data Recovery: professionals familiar with ext3)

Erland erlandh at myrealbox.com
Wed Jun 18 04:17:11 BST 2008

Hi everyone,

Original poster here.

Just thought I'd post back my success! :-) I went and bought a 500GB
external drive from the Sydney shop recommended above, then backed up
the whole corrupt partition (about 300GB) to the new drive, then
issued the command "sudo fsck" on the backup drive, said yes to all
the (scary) prompts - by the end of the process, I thought I'd lost it
all and it hadn't worked... then mounted it and everything was back,
all files recovered! Yay!

To do: file a bug on Launchpad - the thing that corrupted the ext3
Journal was having the drive connected and mounted via firewire during
the upgrade from Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04.

Cheers,
Erland.