Reformat USB stick with a CD ISO9660 FS

Christopher Lees christopher_lees at iprimus.com.au
Sun Jun 15 13:44:41 BST 2008

Bevin Watson wrote:

> Failed.
> It seems to see them as different devices (scd and sdd)
> I tried again, writing zeroes to scd but it didn't seem interested in
> me.
> zzz at zzz:/media$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/scd
> dd: writing to `/dev/scd': No space left on device
> 514929+0 records in
> 514928+0 records out
> 263643136 bytes (264 MB) copied, 16.7721 s, 15.7 MB/s
> zzz at zzz:/media$ sudo gparted
> ======================
> libparted : 1.7.1
> ======================
> Unable to open /dev/scd1 read-write (Read-only file system).  /dev/scd1
> has been opened read-only.
> Unable to open /dev/scd1 read-write (Read-only file system).  /dev/scd1
> has been opened read-only.
> Unable to open /dev/scd1 - unrecognised disk label.
> Unable to open /dev/sdd - unrecognised disk label.
> I'm strarting to think I should just leave the USB next to a big magnet
> for a few days...

If you want to leave it next to a magnet, be my guest. But it won't do
anything, as flash is not sensitive to magnetism.

As I mentioned before, I've already tried writing zeroes to a similar
flash drive, to no avail. I've since found out that there is special
hardware that causes the "CD" portion to be visible and read-only, so I
guess doing anything else now is a waste of time. Unless you have
Windows.