Data Recovery: professionals familiar with ext3

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Tue Jun 10 21:40:58 BST 2008

Tim Neill wrote:
> Just in a similar vein to Erland's problem:
>
> I've got reiserfs set up on my buntu box, and wanted to know what options
> there are for rescuing deleted data.
> The Internet recommends rebuilding the fs nodes from an emergency boot [not
> an option]. I was wondering what else fellow ubuntu'ers had in mind?

If it's corrupt, rebuilding from an emergency boot is your _only_ option.

My next suggestion is: use ext3.  I've moved away from reiserfs and xfs
in the last few years, even though in some cases (like deleting large
files or traversing very large directories) they're far superior, simply
because they're not getting as much love from kernel developers.  ext3
is the most well-tested Linux file system, and i expect ext4 will
continue the tradition.

Paul