Eee PC os install advice

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 01:41:35 BST 2008

Hi Derek

On Wednesday 04 June 2008 21:59:50 Derek Broughton wrote:
> James Takac wrote:
> > Currently I have gutsy on both the internal 4gig drive and on a 16gig
> > flash drive. I'm looking at scrubbing gutsy from the internal and
> > installing something else as I mainly boot from the flash drive at the
> > moment. I'm guessing that will require some changes to my grub file on my
> > part so the flash drive wont throw up errors when gutsy ain't there on
> > the 4gig drive?
>
> If grub is actually installed on the flash drive, then it isn't going to
> care that there's no (or another) OS on the internal drive, unless you try
> to select the entry for the non-existent OS.
>
> otoh, if grub is on the internal drive (more usual), you won't be able to
> boot at all if you remove the /boot directory.  So you'd need to do
> a "grub-install" to the flash drive (before scrubbing the internal!).
>
> --
> derek

It is on the flash drive actually. I'm just in the process of deciding which
os to install on the internal. for now it has ubuntu as does the flash drive
but I don't need the same os installed twice LOL. I've even considered the
idea of installing on an actual usb hdd for at home a number of os's to play
with as it were

James

--
Behold the One in all things. It is the second that leads
you astray.

Kabir