Data Recovery: professionals familiar with ext3

Dave Hall ubuntu at skwashd.com
Mon Jun 2 12:53:34 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 02:01 -0700, Erland wrote:
> Hi all,
> I recently had a major problem on my external hard drive - something
> to do with a corrupt journal I think. Anyway, after asking people on
> the ubuntu IRC channel, it appears that I need to go to a commercial
> data recovery service. I have tried a few things myself without
> success - mainly because I don't have another external hard drive that
> can hold an entire image of the drive. Therefore gddrescue etc doesn't
> work. Can anyone tell me who (in Sydney) could do data recovery on an
> ext3 filesystem. The data is super critical to me, so I want to make
> sure whoever handles it really knows what they're doing.

I am in Melbourne, so I can't help you with a data recovery expert in
Syndey.  Based my previous experience, investing in a second drive will
be a lot cheaper.  Any decent data recovery shop charges an absolute
fortune for one simple reason, they know you are desperate to get the
data back.  Try msy.com.au for a cheap WD HDD and enclosure, it will be
less than the "initial assessment" fee and you will have a new drive.
btw spend the money on a Seagate if your budget allows for it :)

Cheers

Dave