DVD - CD BURNING

David Ryder davaweb at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jul 30 23:01:24 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 21:11 +1000, Sebastian Spiess wrote:
> David Ryder wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> > HARDY
> >
> > I have 100% failure on burning DVDs and CDs. The programs installed are
> > Audio CD Exctractor, Brasero & Rhythmbox.
> >
> > However, if I install Wine and use Imgburn http://www.imgburn.com/ then
> > I get 100% success - which I was used to in Windows.
> >
> > But I really would prefer not to use Wine - does anybody know of other
> > Linux (Ubuntu) programs that are good or what I might be able to do to
> > get successful burns in Ubuntu, please?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > David
> >

> Hi David,
> Hi all,
>
> in the beginning I had some trouble with brasero and my Toshiba Satellite notebook and the combined CD/DVD drive.
> Then I came across this gentoo article http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Toshiba_Satellite_P100 where they say that
>
> 	"Add combined_mode=libata to kernel parameters in order to setup dma transfers for optical drive. Otherwise, playing or
> recording DVDs doesn't work correctly. "
>
> the strange thing I never had CD issues, only DVD burning was a problem.
>
> I would suggest to investigate this with your drives, see if you can burn CDs. On the other had it seems unlikely that you
> having 3 burners have trouble and are alone out there with the combined mode thing. :-\
>
> Cheers,
> Sebastian
Sebastion, I think this is on the right track - I recall many moons ago
I had exactly the same problem in Windows until I forced DMA on.

However I am having difficulty identifying the cdrom drive letter. Is
it: ls /dev/cdrom
If so I get /dev/scd0
But when I try to see if dma is on: hdparm -d /dev/scd0 I get:
"/dev/scd0:
 HDIO_GET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device"
which, to me, says it is not scd0.

Am I doing something wrong?
Many thanks, David