Ubuntu upgrades

Leslie Gossner clownius at gossner.id.au
Wed Jul 2 02:45:57 BST 2008

Slawek Drabot wrote:
> all this talk of downloads has reminded me of something:
>
> how do you deal with downloading upgrades for multiple installs?
>
> I have Ubuntu on 2 machines, and it seems a waste to download the same upgrades twice. What strategies do people use to avoid this situation?

I have no less than 5 computers running 64 bit Kubuntu 8.04 and one box
is running apt-cacher.   Made a massive difference to how fast i chew
through my download limit and doesnt seem to worry the apt-cacher
machine performance wise in any way.  For 2 machines this may be a
little overkill but after the second its well worth the 30mins it took
me to set things up.  I dont have a free mirror to download from so this
has saved me a great deal.  Oh and i use the US server for al my updates
as the default aussie server (optus) is terribly slow to update and down
a lot more often than i would like.
If u need to know more about apt-cacher yell i think i can remember
exactly what i did.
Leslie