Ubuntu upgrades

ishwor ishwor at tpg.com.au
Tue Jul 1 16:30:05 BST 2008

Hi Slawek,

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 07:57:01 pm Slawek Drabot wrote:
> all this talk of downloads has reminded me of something:
>
> how do you deal with downloading upgrades for multiple installs?
>
> I have Ubuntu on 2 machines, and it seems a waste to download the same
> upgrades twice. What strategies do people use to avoid this situation?

One way of doing this is manually.
# apt-get clean;
# aptitude upgrade;

The download packages are locally stored in /var/cache/apt; stay there.

Mount the other box as nfs share (or through fuse/sshfs if you prefer. nfs
requires setup at the other end. sshfs just requires fuse+sshd at the other
end)-
# mount -t nfs other.box.ip.addy:/some/exported.share /mnt/local.dir/
# cp /var/cache/apt/*.deb /mnt/local.dir/

Now go to other box-
# cd /some/exported.share/
# dpkg -i *.deb;

done.

I am sure there are automatic tools for doing this but this is like a quick
way of copying files over to other unix machines and doing manual 'dpkg -i'.
Bear in mind, the dependencies have to be exact in both the machines. :)

cheers