Please help me to understand commands for the Gnome-VFS-Obexftp program.

pew_from_hobart pewtas at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 05:58:35 GMT 2008

Hello Chris and All UBUNTU Folk,

On 28/01/2008, Chris Debenham <chris at adebenham.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 13:20 +1100, pew_from_hobart wrote:
> >
> > Dear UBUNTU People,
> >
> > This email's subject says it all:
> > Please help me to understand commands for the Gnome-VFS-Obexftp
> > program
> >
> > This is a bit complicated so I'll try to get my facts correct. *SMILE*
> >
> > I will happily supply more technical details as requested. (As long as
> > I myself can work out what you need to know)
> >
> > ( I'm still only a newbie at Linux UBUNTU ... however, I love it. I
> > think that UBUNTU is superior to M$ Windows in so many ways!!! )
> >
> > I'm trying to install software which will let me use a small device
> > called a "USB Bluetooth Dongle" (which I currently have plugged into
> > one of my computer's USB ports) communicate with my new SAGEM my411x
> > mobile phone.
>
> ... whole bunch clipped ...
>
> > I think the program installed okay... but I don't know how to test it
> > or the commands to use to operate the software.
>
> You don't actually use gnome-vfs stuff directly.  It is used by gnome
> applications such as nautilus.
> In the case of gnome-vfs-obexftp you can go to nautilus and enter
> obex://[00:00:00:00:00:00]/
> Replace 00:00:00:00:00:00 with the id of your device.

I don't understand what you mean by enter the 'obex://...' command. Where
would I enter it?!?

Like I said in my previous email I'm a newbie and I'm not that familiar with
Nautilus, yet.

Also I don't know what the id numbers of my SAGEM mobile phone is. Is there
an easy way I could find out?!?

An easier way to go is to install 'gnome-bluez' and 'gnome-bluetooth'
> then the next time you login a new icon will appear in the system tray
> (on your panel bar) that looks like the bluetooth logo.
> From this you can search for bluetooth devices, authenticate to them and
> then let it load the right path in nautilus.

That sounds like what I want to do. I did install the gnome-bluez (actually
named "bluez-gnome" and there was also other "bluez????? programs I also
installed {see list below}) and gnome-bluetooth. I now have the "bluetooth"
icon on my system tray.

I used the Synaptic Package Manager and searched for "blue". Listed below is
a text listing of the programs names (or modules) which have been installed
currently with the Synaptic Package Manager.

I'm thinking that maybe some of these programs (or modules) could be
conflicting with each other.

Could you please advise me whether or not I should remove (uninstall) some
of these, to try to make my computer using the USB Bluetooth Dongle 'talk'
to the SAGEM mobile phone.

I must admit that I'm 'out of my depth' here... So I'll rely on your advice
;-)))

List of programs installed using Synaptic Package Manager (searching for
"blue")
bluetooth
bluetooth-alsa
bluez-btsco
bluez-cups
bluez-gnome
bluez-hcidump
bluez-pcmcia-su
bluez-utils
gnome-bluetooth
gnome-themes
gnome-vfx-obexftp
grml-btnet
gtk2-engines
gtk2-engines-ubuntu
kdebluetooth
libbluetooth2
libbtctl4
libgnomebt0
libgnomebt0-dev
libmultisync-plugin-irmc
libmultisync-plugin-irmc-bluetooth
libsbc0
multisync
nautilus-sendto
obexfs
obexftp
obexpushd
opensync-plugin-irmc
osso-gwconnect
osso-gwconnect-dev
p3nf
----end list

Chris

--
Fond Regards,
Peter Eric (aka 'pew') WILLIAMS

My free website is:
http://pewtas.googlepages.com  (or)  http://tinyurl.com/yuyejs

(please visit my free website and let me know what you think about it.)